Header

Thursday 21 June 2012

Trial and Error...

Yesterday the sun shone, unlike today, and I managed to create the ironing pile from my worst nightmares, resulting from 4 loads of washing and making the most of the glorious line-time; but I also had time to try out frame purse number two as a practice for the In The Frame Swap.

Now I started off thinking I would just use some rubbishy old fabric, and hope for the best, but then figured it could be a waste of a perfectly good frame, so I got all brave and cut into my FMF!

I followed the best bits from numerous online tutes, making my pattern, using the turn through the lining method for super neat hinge corners and then it all started to go a bit wrong.

I boxed the corners thinking I was making a nice deep boxy shape - but no, I had created the opposite, and this was the shallowest of purses I could have created; hey ho, not a show stopper.  Then I did my usual machine stitch closure of the lining - but as the bottom of the purse was not exactly buried deep inside, it shows way too much, and thirdly, unless I had wanted gathers galore and an inch gap below each hinge, it was not going to fit the frame.

Bugger!

However, having amassed a selection of frames in my eagerness the other week, I found that it actually fitted another one almost perfectly!

The glueing and sticking went fine, although I possibly could have done with a bit more glue as the frame was too snug in the end to fit any piping in.

I tried to squeeze the frame a little tighter with pliers, which has left it a little wobbly, but it is all holding together, and looks damn pretty, even though it won't hold a lot. 

It is most definitely just a posing pouch...
So lessons learnt...
I will be using an amended version of Katy's Retreat method - keeping the raw edges on the outside, and then coating them in glue and wedging into the frame for a bit more grip - this means no seam allowance having to be spot on for a perfect fit either;
I will just turn the hinge corners in when I top stitch the lining to the outer, for a nice neat finish;
I will research 'bottom shapes' a bit further, and read instructions fully (for once!), and,
I will remember this is meant to be fun - swearing is not big and clever, and does not change things, ever!

30 comments:

  1. I love this! Very bright and cheery!

    Swearing is not big & clever but it does relieve tension somehow. However I have had to learn to say "bobbins" when I get cross, which although not as satisfying, is mildly sewing-related!

    I bought an extra purse frame at FQR and need to decide what to make next ... I am in serious danger of getting addicted to frame purses and u-handbag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I think it is rather a lovely cute pouch. The perfect poser !

    ReplyDelete
  3. With FMF it still looks fabulous dahling :-) And swearing is big and clever, and fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your pouch looks great. I have been trying to make the perfect shallow pouch and failing. I am totally sceptical the glue will really hold either of the two pouches together long term. But like you said before, anyone in the swap will have glue!!! I really do like the free instructions from U-Handbag. Great advice on designing patterns for the frames you're using. I've not used any piping so far because it would not fit but the U-Handbag pattern I was using didn't even suggest this. That said I have put paper string in both pouches I've made and that came from u handbag and has helped bulk out the frame a fraction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's lovely! perfect for a single lipstick ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It'll be the perfect size for something - you've just got to figure out what the "something" is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your not perfect make, hey lets not pretend we're perfect. I would share my top tip but I'm not sure you'd want to hear! Ok, sew inside out don't leave a gap in the lining and leave on in the top instead, then you can sew it shut or not because it gets hidden in the frame, that's what I've done this week and it works a treat! Have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, it's lovely, very sweet. And I find 'Bugger' has just the right amount of force to assuage the swearing need, without being too offensive! It is my very favourite expletive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the shape. And the FMF is perfect as per usual. I shall sit here learning from your mistakes, thank you. Make a change of learning from my own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's lovely! Looks like the perfect change purse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it ... just the right size for an emergency sammich ...

    Every so often I look at the sew-in frames I bought about 8 years ago and then put them quietly back in the box ...

    nothing wrong with swearing ... except in the classroom ... whoops ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think there is anything "error" about this! It's so pretty and aren't looks all that matter?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fabulous to me. I have been reading about other peoples mistakes and advise this evening, so will maybe give mine a go this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks amazing you did a really great job and that little house block below is very pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. But you have ended up with a really cute purse! Not Twee, but gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now if you hadn't said anything about having problems I would have said wonderful purse Hadley - dammit I am going to say it anyway cos it's true! Wonderful purse Hadley! BTW Lisa has a pattern designed to go with this purse frame which you can download from her site!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so cute! I'm sure a few coins could fit in there..maybe a super folded up note..a key with no ring...=D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well it's a very cute posing pouch! I'm already dreading my first attempt at a glue in frame. I sense disaster on the horizon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it is so cute, regardless if it is what you were hoping to do. Keep trying, if you have extras in the end I could help you with that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As someone who has yet to try making a frame pouch, I'm still impressed. It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not sure you could have made much this much bigger?
    It may have ended up looking like big baggy bloomers! LOL
    I need to work out how to make the patterns for different frames, or do they come with??
    I could become a frame addict.
    Lush

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable. I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes mistakes along the way. I am anxious to try a framed purse, so thanks for the pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nothing worse than a dodgy bottom... ;o) Glad you found a frame to marry it to in the end :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My frames came with a pattern. Written in Japanese.
    I got the same frames Purl Soho uses with the big balls. Love 'em.

    It seems like I deciphered them with the help of Purl Soho and U-handbags.
    http://www.purlbee.com/coin-purse-kits/2010/9/4/mollys-sketchbook-lovely-liberty-coin-purse-kits.html/

    I saw another post where gal showed you how to take your frame and make a pattern.
    Which is http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com/2012/05/framed-coin-purse-tutorial.html

    I prefer the turning from the lining as the top edge is finished as well as those hinge areas.
    I love that you added a pocket inside. Perfect finish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would gladly pose with that adorable pouch! Thanks for sharing what went wrong. I've yet to tackle my first snap frame due to fear and loathing of making fatal errors and wasting an expensive notion.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't like my purses too deep...then I can never find the change I need. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it's marvellous - a perfect size for some of the bits and pieces that I keep at the bottom of my handbag!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now you have me a bit intimidated! You are much more patient then me, I would have chucked the whole thing long ago!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx