Header

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Sunny Sewing!

At last the sun shone, and I stayed in doors sewing!

Back in March I chopped up most of my Reunion layer cake into 5" charms, and added in a few other prints, then duly popped the lot in a box and chose to forget about them.  Now these were to be destined for a friends' twin boys due 'in the Summer'; well despite evidence bringing into doubt the existence of such a thing as 'Summer', time and babies wait for no-one, so today was the day to get on with it, as those chaps could come any time.

I was originally going to sew up a pair of simple patchwork quilts, but I had to go and make life a little more complicated; I am glad I did.



I sewed up 4-patch squares, then turned these into HSTs.  The squares though have one corner cut off in the process; however after the initial realisation and bit of swearing, I actually like the look it gives.


Since taking the pictures this afternoon, I have added strips of Kona Ash and more Reunion to turn them into 36"x 44" tops.

I was going to back with fleece blankets, but I have gone off that idea now, so will be doing a quick bit of pondering before finishing these off.

Hope those boys don't put in an appearance too soon x

35 comments:

  1. But what neat pinwheels on the corners!

    Greta fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great and perfect for wee boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely - best use I've seen of this range of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, very nice, and love the wee animals creeping in

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boys mummy will be thrilled as they are lovely. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha! I spy lovely reds in these quilts! And adorable animals! Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! I spent the sunshine indoors too. It's the lure of the stash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like a bit of sunshine and a pending new arrival to get you into gear! The tops look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect! Perfect make for two little men.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these Hadley! I love reunion & they look great for wee twins!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! Glad you got some sun, we didn't get any today! Still raining up my way :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got some sun too! We had a few hours.
    Great looking quilt tops. I love the effect the HSTs give =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great fun, I just love this line of fabrics. Nice that you are out of the rain too. We had rain on and off all day here. Seems maybe to alternate between my house and yours?

    ReplyDelete
  14. the beauty of sewing is that no one but you will ever notice those corners that are cut off. these are great! i love how the hsts make a secondary pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! Send some sun our way please! It's sports day tomorrow (I mean today, it's after midnight) Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh lovely! Great design there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These both look wonderful - love the Reunion fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So perfect for two new arrival. Loving the not-too-matchy-matchy look of all the prints, while still co-ordinating nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the quilt tops Hadley - but what on earth were you doing indoors during our only bit of summer?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a lovely line for little boys, I can't believe you whipped up not one but TWO quilt tops on the only sunny day though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love reunion and these both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous little boy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely! What about putting that minky stuff on the back - that would make them really soft and cuddly!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are great...and what's a corner between quilts? I think they look just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look great! Oh please, no one will notice the corner except you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute quilts. I see you managed to tear yourself away from you handsewing frenzy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are lovely, would it work to make pinwheels and 4 patches? Another design to pin to the I want to try board!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't know what it is about Reunion, but it makes me happy. These look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely boy choice of design and fabric - I'm sure they will be loved and if the weather continues like now they may need those fleece blankets as well as the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really love the simplicity of these quilts. I am also working on a quilt using the reunion charms and layers. Cant wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i love these so much. They made me finally get a layer cake of reunion.

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx