Header

Saturday 9 June 2012

Off to a Flying Start...

This morning, I was able to give my burn an airing; I know, small pleasure, but having a shower without cling film for the first time in a week - yes I even took a roll to Retreat, was wonderful!

So buoyed up and feeling fresh, although having those this time last week feelings, I got my sewing machine out for the first time since Monday.


Brit Bee - Year Two has kicked off in style, with Trudi giving us free reign on flying geese blocks.

I pulled out the ziplock of fabric she had thrust in my direction at Retreat and took a closer look - lots of BROWN! 

Deep breath, after all, I don't have to keep it!

Having conquered the circle of geese block as part of new-Brit Bee Katy's Foundation Paper Piecing For The Terrified series, I could conquer brown, so I printed some more templates from here, and got going on my twist for my first block.


I used two clockwise and two anticlockwise paper templates and took a risk that I think paid off, making the geese from Trudi's white-on-cream background fabric, and scrappy filling the background...


Not too brown, and I am chuffed to bits with my piecing.  I hope Trudi feels the same. 


Last year when we were set the Lynne-Bob Square Pants block as our first Bee experience, I thought that was complicated - this really does bring it home just how much I have learnt and am volunteering to make in such a short space of time!

The second block is way more inside my colour comfort zone!   More Valorie Wells, but in a lovely aqua.  I suspect this block has a proper name which I am not familiar with, I spotted it whilst trawling google images and did a quick bit of maths to get it to size...


I love this one too.


Both blocks finish at 12.5", (and they actually do!), and will be flying back to Trudi next week.

So there we are, some real quilty sewing; it's so good to be back! 

27 comments:

  1. I mistook 'burn' for 'bum' and thought I'd missed a post or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, excellent! I got brown too... Still I'm battling through ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED THE BROWN! There I said it! Brown and proud! Wouldn't it be funny if every month this year we all sent you some brown to work on? That would cure you! In the counselling world that's called 'Flooding' he he! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about brown (just try to think of it as chocolate!) That block looks like Some Geese Who Got Lost in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love brown and it even makes purple work for me- I find purple a tricky colour, great block, would work well repeated

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work missus, I'm sure Trudi is going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love it! so so much! i bet trudi is going to be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely!
    (although I read too fast and thought you said you gave your bum an airing. Hehehehehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear the burn is healing. I can't imagine how awkward a shower with cling film must be; it drives me crazy when I have to use it in the kitchen, let alone bathing!

    Your blocks look great! It's pretty awesome, too, when you look back at things that intimidated you that now seem well within your capabilities... I'm hoping to say that one day about sewing curves and y-seams. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before you know it you will be making a brown quilt. Lovely blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you even did brown justice. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blocks Hadley! The brown is particularly marvellous particularly given your disliking of the colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the brown one (even though I too am a brown-ophobe!) Great skills Mrs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think Valorie Wells does brown.
    FYI: She's from my neck of the woods. I've even talked with her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your use of the negative space in the circle of geese, plus the shuffling of the geese's direction. I laughed out loud at someone thinking you were talking about your bum vs. burn. Bum: never not funny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad that the burn is on the mend. You have made those browns look amazing: your piecing is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post actually reminded me of a bum burn when I sat on a Valor parafin stove in my dad's garage when I was a kid! OOOOOhhhh!
    Your Retreat looked such fun and loved the pillow/cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great colours and so neat...look at those points all meeting at the same place!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol, I read it "bum" first time around too! I love the blocks, your paper pieced one is amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eeek I hope your burn is healing well.

    I love your brown geese block a LOT!
    xxxxx

    p.s. I am longing to make some key fobs like your swap ones. Can you point me in the right direction of a tutorial for them and also the hardware too xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. That`s not browns? That`s oranges and purple and taupe and lovely! Hope your arm is continuing to heal okay!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the madness of the circle geese block! I too read that you'd aired your bum! LOL!

    Pleased you're on the mend ... you make me tired just reading!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Why were you airing your bum when you burnt your arm!? ;-) Love the blocks x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love both blocks - well done on working with brown...do you keep having flashbacks?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad I wastnt the only one that had to re-read exactly *what* got an airing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. your bee blocks look so perfect...just look at those points! You must be feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic blocks - I really really like the blue/white one. So fresh and crisp. Your paper piecing is just immaculate. Great makes, Hadley!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx