Header

Monday 2 January 2012

Race to the finish!

Not going to mention the Olympics yet (doh!), but the finishes I am most looking forward to this year will be in conjunction with my old friend Rhonda!

Are you joining in the FAL?  Committing each quarter to finishing some of those WIPs, UFOs or whatever you want to call them, telling the world and being prepared to be get your butt kicked if you don't?

Well I am.


The inaugural quarter will see me aiming to finish 3 things:

i) My Brit Bee Constellation quilt. 

I have all the main stars ready, but I still need to make the siggy stars and some other smaller stars to complete the back, then I can turn this baby into the quilt of my dreams!


ii) My Mystery Quilt top. 

I fell off the magical Mystery bus about three-quarters of the way there.  Having fallen out of love with the fabric, I was finding it hard to re-motivate myself.   This is a prime example of using cheap 'n' cheerful unloved fabric when, had I the confidence to use something I was more emotionally attached to, this quilt would have been finished ages ago.

I am not promising to complete all the blocks posted by Sheila (sorry Sheila), but I want to make a quilt top that I can back with a fleece blanket and be finished.  I have leant a lot from making these stars, and will definitely use Sheila's instructions again in the future and I don't want to leave it languishing.


iii)  My Pips Hexie Cushion. 

I have been slowly sewing hexies for what seems like a million ballet lessons and I think the other 'ballet mums' will be as happy to see these finished as I will be!  It will only be the front of an 18" cushion, but I really want it this one ticked off.


I have many plans for new makes in the near future too; quiltalongs (at least 2), presents to make for my sister's birthday, the multitude of obligatory handmade goodies required by any discerning quilter for the Fat Quarterly Retreat in June and dare I say a swap, or two; these will definitely roll into the next quarter and keep this ball rolling.

I'll have to save yesterday's sneak-peak reveal until tomorrow now,  as I have school bags to find never alone pack!

27 comments:

  1. Stop posting, Hadley! The more I read of your happy projects the more new ones I want to start! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww I love Nicey Jane! Your monster stars quilt will be amazing, I cant wait to see that one done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I am joining too, my post is going up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with them! I look forward to seeing them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be signing up later on today, just need to get all my ufo's out to take pics and then I will be done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea...sorry Sheila! I think I will do something with the mystery stars I have done too instead of pushing forward. I too am not a huge fan of my fabric either. Hmmm...now you've got me thinking about next quarter. I better stop and get busy with this quarter. Oh wait...I am at work I guess I better focus on that...**toothy grin** Thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The constellation quilt looks amazing, that's going to be a beautiful cushion too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I won't be playing along, but it will be fun watching you! That brit bee quilt is beautiful. I can't wait to see that one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful projects for the FAL! And lots of other great ideas. I am a little worried about the butt kicking part, that could well be me. Good luck on the getting back to school, my youngest gets this week off too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, what kind of handmade things do you think we'll need to take to the FQ retreat? I better get cracking as that's exactly the kind of thing that I will think I have loads of time for and then it will creep up on me and bite me on the bum! I'm not joining this round of the FAL as I don't actually have any UFO's to finish! (Not strictly true, but nothing that I think will stand a chance of getting finished in this first quarter anyway!) I'll enjoy seeing how everyone else does, though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those hexies! Constellation quilt would be a lovely finsih for the summer - all that azure blue! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have several things I need to finish, but I also have lots of things I need to start. Good luck with this FAL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with your list! And if you lived north of the border you'd have another day off, we do like to embrace a good party up here holiday wise ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your starts are beautiful...I can't wait to see them finished. Visiting from Rhonda's blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm about to link up to the FAL too. Such a great idea!
    Can't wait to see all you pretty things finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just linked! Such a great idea (and, boy, your Constellation quilt will be fan-bloody-tastic!). Katy's right, though, one advantage to the frozen north is TWO days off at NY (to get us over our hangovers and deep frying, obv. *g*)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very braveof you putting your UFOs out there for all and sundry to see - I'm not that brave, LOL! Hope the kds enjoy the end of the school hols!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you - they're all great projects that deserve to be finished! I expect you'll have completed two by the end of the week :)
    My resolutions are similar to yours but I must add "refrain from clicking on shiny new qal buttons when reading blogs"
    I've now broken my fabric buying ban already - try again from tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You go girl! The constellation quilt is going to be A-MAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the colors of your "hexies".

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors of your constellation quilt. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your hexies are lovely. They'll make a great cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Think they would never have room for all my unfinished stuff. One quilt meant for Xmas three years ago still needs finishing - I'm far too embarassed to join. Hexies look great - I have an old quilt I made twenty years ago with hexies still going strong. May post a pic later, Have a happy day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh dear. I forgot we should all travel handmade. This may require new fabric purchases. What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm still stitching hexies too - nice to know someone else is! Love your Bee constellation quilt - it's already stunning so goodness knows how fabulous it's going to be when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck Hadley - would obviously love to see the Mystery completed and your fleece backed version sounds like a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great projects, and that hexie one is a big one as all by hand, isn't it. I shall sit here and watch!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx