Header

Sunday 1 January 2012

Its 2012!

Happy New Year!

Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my last post of 2011 - I will get back to you individually, I promise; UNLESS of course you are a No Reply blogger, in which case this is your thank you! x).

I just have 3 fabric-related New Year Resolutions to share with you tonight...

1.  Be brave enough to use some of my favourite fabrics.  All too often I use scraps and pieces I don't care for and then end up wishing I had used something better!  Why?  Because I am a scared of messing up, wasting my precious FQs and yardage, and fearing that some way better idea will come along!  Daft I know, so there will be a concerted effort to use my stash.

2.  Use more fabric than I buy!  This is a hard one but requires no.1 to be put into action to achieve it.  Last year I acquired way more fabric than I can sensibly use, but each piece was chosen with either projects, or pure love, in mind!  I have a lot of Flea Market Fancy and some pre-cuts on order for a few months time - so once my latest parcel appears, I think I conveniently forgot to mention that one, I will need to crack on!  My Winter Sewing List should help on this one too, but I need to justify 'needing' not just 'wanting' more fabric!

3.  Be a bit more adventurous!  I stick to what I know, and 'quick hit' quilts, when I really should be going for things that require a bit more thought and time.  So this year I will, maybe not go as far as designing my own, but certainly attempt to widen my repertoire!

Have you made any resolutions for 2012?

Tomorrow I am going to link up with Rhonda and the girls for the Finish Along - I've had a long day, so I haven't had the chance to sort myself out yet, but I will get my list written and take the plunge, how about you guys?

And just because it seems to be all talk and no action this evening, here's a glimpse of my last make of 2011, and first gift of 2012...


2012, so far, so good x

23 comments:

  1. Good resolutions. You can make a Favourite Fabrics Quilt along with me! This year I intend to buy more fabric because I'm always jealous of the rest of you! Haven't figured out how to pay for it yet though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to all those resolutions, especially No.1! Love the last/first make! The blue is a great colour with the grey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peek you give us looks so stylish, it is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your resolutions. I can totally relate to them, I am not a massive sewer, but always buy more than I can use, but am then tentative about using a particularly nice piece because I feel I won't do it justice, but it is worse if it just sits in my cupboard not being used isn't it?
    Happy New Year, xx Sannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the exact same boat. I need to buy less and use more of what I already have. It's just too tempting to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those resolutions could have been written by me because they are exactly what I need to write also!
    Like the sneak peak :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I think I would write you a lot more comments if you didn't have that horrible word verication shizang happening.
    Just saying LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This time last year thanks to Angela doing a fabric diet we could all join in with, I went for three months with not buying a single bit of fabric. I really enjoyed the challenge of shopping my stash and as a result was more productive and made more stuff that I actually liked. I feel I need to find my style and become more satisfied with the stuff I make. I think part of my problem is I often tend to use stuff I don't like in case I mess up/better idea comes along/don't finish it and it's cut into and well it gets wasted. I need to be braver and use up the good stuff not just hoard it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your list! I finally started to use one of the things I was hoarding, my 2 Pips charm packs, and they got their first stitches last night. I'm now actively planning how to use the rest of my 'collected just because' fabric, but I think it will take some time! I'm going to try not to hoard much at a time and use what I have... (and we'll ignore the several parcels on their way here, okay? ;o) )

    Love the new make start to the year :o)

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful plans! I keep reminding myself that if I mess up the lovely fabric I can buy more or something I like even better, but it is very hard to cut up the favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well as much fabric as you have been winning, you shouldn't have too much trouble with #2. Loved hearing your goals and I have complete faith that you will WOW us with loads of sewing this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great resolutions. I think I need to go with your #2 for myself as well.

    I haven't made any resolutions and I didn't last year either. In fact, I can't remember the last time I made a resolution. I just figure that if I'm going to do something or change something about myself, I'll just do it.

    I think you've set great goals here! Can't wait to see what you do in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year!! Um, use more fabric that you buy?? Crazy talk lady, how on earth can you be a contender in the "she who dies with the most fabric wins" competition our husbands all assume we're entering?? Have a fantastic 2012, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great resolutions. I too save up my favourite pieces thinking I will find something better to use them for. And also not being brave enough to use them. I will look forward to seeing what you make. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am attempting 1& 2 as well although have failed already as I just ordered some half moon modern pre cuts :). Love the sneak peak.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always strike me as such a generous quilter Hadley as you are always making for someone or other. If I could make a resolution for you, it would be that you make yourself a beautiful quilt from your favourite untouchable fabrics in your stash. Smiles to you Hadley! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your resolutions could easily be mine!! if only I made any! Looking forward to seeing how you get on!
    When is FMF due to be released???

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful glimpse! Good luck trying to stick to those resolutions! I'm sure we can help you break them! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Think I mighjt jump into the FAL too - good incentive to clear stuff up - no?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great goals list you have! All achievable and each would help you grow a bit. I am with you on a variation of number 3. I want more long term goals as I've gone for the "quick hits" lately and have finished very few quilts. Quilts are my goal this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm completely with you for resolution one. I really should be with you for number 2...
    Good luck to both of us!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent resolutions! I'm with you on number 3, I was lucky enough to get an art quilt book for Chrimble and it's inspiring me to go "off pattern"...wonder if I'll be brave enough?! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great resolutions - good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx