Header

Saturday 7 January 2012

Bee-ing Stars!

I promised you stars, I will give you stars!

Along with the blocks the Brit Bees make for each other every month, we send a siggy block, following the quick tute over at PS I Quilt.  I decided that I was going to make mine into additional stars for my Constellation, pretty much as soon as I had decided on the quilt.

Today I pieced the 12 siggy blocks into 3 stars, having re-photographed all the blocks and siggies first, so I have a record of whose blocks were whose for prosterity.




NB. Apologies, I have not been using the siggies to clean the bathroom, I have digitally smudged surnames and hometowns to keep up the Brit Bee's mystique!

Looking at all the blocks laid out again, gave me a really excited feeling, and has started the old cogs turning on how I am actually going to quilt this beauty. 

I am not going to risk ruining it with some FMQ fiasco, and I would not put money on being able to align the stars on both sides accurately enough to echo-quilt the seams, so I shall be lurking around flickr and pinterest for some flash of inspiration, unless you can think of anything in the meantime!  Any suggestions more than welcome xxx

For the remainder of the evening, I have the small task of trimming many many more HSTs...


...whilst repeating the mantra 'it WILL be worth it, they WILL look great' over and over again!

27 comments:

  1. COOOOOOoooool! LOVE the stars, I feel famous :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful.....and how clever to be able to digitally smudge the names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those siggy stars :) I can't wait to see this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a fab way to use the siggys, perfect! Looking forward to seeing the entire quilt :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orange and turquoise stars! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart stopped thinking the ink had run Hadley! Phew! I need to make some siggy blocks for a bee I joined - what should I use to make sure there are no runs - any suggestions!?

    Brilliant blocks BTW! Great idea to make them into stars! Does it matter if they don't line up exactly?? If it does go loopy with FMQ you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did wonder what you had done to the siggy blocks! I arranged for friends to use fabric pens on white blocks at a baby shower so I could make a quilt, but someone spilt wine on one block and the pen has run - it looks like your blocks, only it's real! Gulp, I think I'll have to make it up as a quilt, and then wash it with fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha I know that mantra!!
    Love those siggy blocks, they look great as stars and will go really well with the rest of your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you are clever! What a lovely way to display our siggys! Don't they look lovely altogether - like a harmonious family! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever idea! I really dislike trimming HSTs - hope you managed to power through it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely blocks, love the yurquoise and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it will be worth it and they will look great! What a fun way to use your siggy blocks. I'm excited to see your quilt come together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh phew!! I thought my siggy had run!! How about echo quilting the stars on the back? Then the front will have randomly expanding stars...
    Looking great though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have said it before and i am sure i will say it again... i cannot wait to see this quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. those siggy blogs are really a great idea. Love stars so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea, Hadley! Your Siggy Stars look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The siggy stars are uber cute! I might pinch your idea, mwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. keep it up as i am sure they will be worth doing. stars are lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the siggy stars ... heh heh ... sounds like a Bowie song "Siggy played with Star-ars"

    Also lurve the colourways for this constellation .. yummity yum ...

    I'm with Sarah Narcoleptic - I think echo quilting would look fandabeedozee ...

    Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It will be worth it and it will look great! Love your siggy blocks and clever smudging...I`m quite good at that and I don`t even have to do it digitally!

    ReplyDelete
  21. are you planning on putting a border on the front? If you so you could place your siggies on the back side of the border and then do echo quilting. Echo the front stars and then the back. Imagine what the quilting would look like in your front borders.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am loving the way your quilt is coming together, including those star siggy blocks. Some other quilting suggestions are random straight lines, parallel lines of differing and random widths, a cross hatch done in random widths - all of those do not fight with the design but add another dimension and can be done densely or more spaced apart.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love what you did with the siggy blocks. I think Leanne has some great ideas for the quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm part of a star! Everything I have ever wanted and more!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx