Header

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Wednesday waffle...

Today I wanted to knock a couple of things off my February To Do list, namely for Judith; the siggie blocks to go with her Brit Bee blocks and also a pair of blocks for Bee Blessed...


I will not fib and say that I enjoyed making these - so many pieces, trimming and pressing.  My points are not perfect, they took all morning, much to the kids' annoyance; but they are done and look better than I was anticipating at the mid-way point. 

I was this (this) close to stopping at making one, but as much as I dislike working on things that I am not feeling the love for, I am a stubborn madam, and did not want to admit defeat!  Also I am going to be handing these over in person, so I am hoping to overwhelm Judith with quantity rather than quality!

Seeing as it is Half Term, I let the kids reclaim the dining table for some drawing this afternoon, so I joined in by pulling out my Joel Dewberry stash and colouring in the blank layout sheet for my Orbit quilt...


I am so determined to use up fabrics that have been lurking, hoarded, waiting for projects, so as soon as Lindsey posted about her QAL, I was in, and knew these fabrics were next on my hit list.

The pattern calls for 13 prints, I only have 10, after excluding the browns, which I am saving (honest), but as I have all 1/2 and full meter cuts, I have managed to work out a suitable balance of repeats.  I'd like to have these cut by the end of the holidays, but the overflowing ironing basket is starting to look beyond a little slovenly, so I may be otherwise engaged for a few days!

23 comments:

  1. Ooh go you, impressed with your stash usage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bet she will love that she got two instead of one especially because they weren't your favorite! they look lovely! and i am impressed with your coloring skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks for Judith are beautiful - worth the perseverance (swearing, stomping and general GAHHHHHHH moments) and I love your fabrics for the Orbit (sugarfree guuuuum) quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for cheery Bee Blocks and I am a slave to Joel Dewberry fabrics so I'm sure whatever you do with those prints will be wonderful. Also just realised I totally missed your last blog post on the beautiful Emerald cushion you made - it's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks for Judith, but I get what you mean about cutting and pressing with these types of thing, they look like they should be really quick blocks, and always end up taking forever due to the matching of pointy bits! Good on you for stash busting too, I really need to do some of that, but it always seems to be "the next project". Forget the ironing, it will only need doing again anyway. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bee blocks weren't my fave make either but they do look good finished don't they?
    Love Orbit, will watch its progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot you were on half term. Hope sanity is still intact. Looks like you have another good quilt on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blocks - worth the effort. Just checked out the details for the Orbit quilt. Am sooo very tempted to have a go x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw thanks honey! Really appreciate you taking the time to make these blocks and seeing them through to the end! Can't wait to receive them in person! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's okay, I'm sure John Lewis will have more JD stuff somewhere if you need more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that's a real shame now you will have to go fabric shopping to gather the other 3.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should do that as well before buying more. Probably won't happen that way. Love the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An A+ for coloring, an B for the bee blocks( cracking the sads part way through was duly noted) and a C+ for letting a spammer in to comment!!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great bee I used my unpicker countless times when I made my block!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its the points that are the killers but yours look pretty perfect to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those blocks are a complete pain, but you make them look so good! And well done on merging your entertainment with theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those bee blocks, even if they are a pain to make! Looking forward to seeing your Orbit quilt progress, the fabrics are gorgeous! Enjoy the rest of half term and good luck with the ironing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your blocks so much I'm thinking of asking my bee to do them for me next month. Although I didn't realise they were so tricky! I have some modern meadow I should be using...again I need to find the right project and the inclination and time to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That Orbital Quilt is gonna be cool. Like the bee blocks too, don't know if I'd have time or patience do but the end result is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. your bee blocks look pretty darn perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wha? those look perfect and gorgeous!! excited to see your orbit come together. thank you for sewing along with me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Judith's blocks were so worth your time. They are beautiful!

    What ever are you saving those browns for?

    ReplyDelete
  23. The blocks for Judith look great! I think she will love them. Doesn't the orbit quilt along look great!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx