Header

Thursday 14 February 2013

My Type of Bag...

I bought the Sidekick Tote pattern from Anna-Noodlehead as soon as it was available last year, and it has sat, niggling me for ages, moving from one month's To Do List to the next; but in my 2013 stash-busting frame of mind, this was the week to do it!


Having ordered my metalware, from here, upon cutting up my Melody Miller and Echino last weekend, I decided I wanted to extend the strap, and so hatched a plan that required a further rectangle ring purchase, hence the waiting.

This was the first time I have made bias binding, and the first time I have actually sewn curves with it.  It wasn't so hard.  I was being a bit of a smarty-pants with lining up the spots, but it worked out fine.  My stitching down is not perfect, and the stitches from attaching the back peak out in a couple of places, but I can live with that.  I am rather chuffed with this detailing.

Instead of using velcro to fasten the pocket, I used a sew-in magnetic snap, and this was an easy substitution.  There was a little lady-handling required to stop the magnets from sticking firm to the needle plate of my sewing machine, but no drama.

The other amendment to the pattern was the addition of the second ring-end to the strap.  This gave me an extra 5", as I like to wear my bags across-body, especially when I am wearing my slidey-shouldered coat in winter.  I don't think it looks too odd; the extra ring, not the coat.

I pieced and topstitched the whole bag with Aurifil 40wt thread, firstly because it was the right colour, a deep turquoise, and secondly because I really couldn't be bothered to keep changing the thread between piecing and topstitching.  I also changed up the order that I pieced it; I used my walking foot for most of the construction, and did eveything I could before swapping out for my zipper foot.  Again, sheer laziness.

I did try to use my walking foot for the zip too, but failed after about 1", so my trusty zipper foot was reinstated.

I popped a bit of woven interfacing on the back of my lining where the patch pocket was stitched, just to give this area more strength.  And I think that is all I did that deviated from the printed word.

Mine is the smaller version of the tote, and is plenty big enough for my wallet, phone, keys, sunglasses (I know!!) and even a small umbrella.

I will definitely make another one, in the larger size next time; the pattern is brilliantly clear, and after all the cutting and fleece-fusing, it comes together really quickly.

My tote had it's fist trip out today to Chichester, there may have been Valentine's fabric shopping, I will show you that, and the gift I made for my true love tomorrow xxx

37 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm embarrassed to say I'd forgotten about this pattern, not a hope in hell of me doing anything with it for a few months, but I'll come back and pick up on your adjustments then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - absolutely brilliant, you clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new bag, especially the colour selection. It wouldn't fit all my stuff in ( I need to get rid of all the chaff I carry around!!) sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, especially all the aqua.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That strip of daisies across the top is inspired! Great fabrics, lady, and as an across-the-body girl myself I applaud your fixing of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty new bag! And who says romance is dead, fabric shopping, yay. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous, I love the fabric and the spotty binding

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks brilliant!! I love the fabrics you used.
    I've been sitting on this pattern a while too, but I've not got any idea of what fabrics to use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! i LOVE that pocket! I love this pattern, its my everyday purse

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some of that typewriter fabric hoarded away and I love how you've positioned the images so cleverly. In fact I think I may have purchased it in the first place, after seeing a purse you made using it?
    Enjoy your beautiful bag xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smashing! Although I must be honest and say you could make a loo roll cover in those fabrics and I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous bag - really love these fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great and I love all the little details

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous bag Had! Well done on all those fiddly bits! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, as usual!!! and I'm amazed.... I DO NOT have this pattern!!! I have EVERYTHING from Noodlehead, how did I miss this one??????? this oversight will be rectified shortly!!! it's all your fault :-))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another one with this bag on my to do list, yours looks lovely. Must attempt mine too. Fabric shopping in Chichester you lucky thing. My favourite fabric shops there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another one with this bag on my to do list, yours looks lovely. Must attempt mine too. Fabric shopping in Chichester you lucky thing. My favourite fabric shops there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the typewriters, but I'm a tad worried about your slopey shoulders...

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a lovely bag, the colours remind me of you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's fab! I love the typewriter pocket :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job Hadley, and useful account of your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up
    losing a few months of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have
    any methods to prevent hackers?

    Feel free to visit my blog: new student loan consolidation program 2012

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love a bag and this one is exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really nice bag! I have this pattern too, need to buckle down and make it one of these days.... waiting for just the right fabric.....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job Had. Love the details and lining the spots was a clever touch. I am inspired now but it looks a bit tricky for me I think.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well jel of your new bag! It's lovely :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fab bag, I must try this one, its really gorgeous and the sort of bag I love.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm new to your blog and was reading over this older post. I love my walking foot too! Don't know what I did without it! Wow, that sounds like I'm an idiot...the point of my saying this is because I figured out how to use my walking foot and not have to change to the zipper foot! Open your zipper a little more than half way, sew almost to the zip part and stop with the needle down in the fabric. Lift your presser foot up high (you may have to hold the lever up) and with your other hand zip the zipper past the walking foot. Then just continue on. It might be a little awkward at first but I made several triple-zip pouches this way, it can be done! Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx