Header

Monday 4 February 2013

Siblings Together v2.0

Last year I, and many many others, made quilts for the amazing Siblings Together charity. 

All 70+ quilts were given out during last summer's camps, to children, siblings, reunited at camp but ordinarily separated by the care system.  Heartbreaking.

Quilts for Siblings Together

If you are not familiar with the work of this organisation, you need look no further than the flickr group, or Lynne's Lily's Quilts blog posts here and here.  Tissues at the ready, honestly, you have been warned.

Here is the quilt that I made last year...


... and here it is again with its recipient...


You don't know how choked I still get when I see that photo!

As soon I knew we were on again for another summer of quilts, I was in, no hesitation.

In fortuitous coincidence, I was checking out the flickr group just as the lovely and blooming Amanda was offering up some fabric for the cause, and I jumped at her beautiful Tula Pink Hushabye strips, even the brown ones! 

Before they arrived today, I had the quilt sketched, maths done, backing (IKEA house print) and some Kona Snow pulled, ready and waiting...
I know there is no immediate rush to get this made, but I can't wait. 

So are you in, again, or for the first time? 

You don't have to make a whole quilt, if this year is anything like last year, you could donate some fabric, a quilt top or batting; do the actual quilting or send some blocks, every little counts.  I am sure, as time goes on, calls for help and offers of assistance will increase, and I think it is the collaborative nature that makes these quilts even more special.  Trudi sent me the batting last year, and with Amanda's fabric this year, I know I will be sending another quilt packed with love and best wishes from everyone involved.

25 comments:

  1. Yep I'm in, I have fabric...there is a photo of one of mine too wrapped around a child, I know what you're feeling! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see how it goes, I might just volunteer to quilt a couple again after I gave away to other appeals the 2 possible tops to contribute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough I started cutting my Siblings quilt today too. I want it done sooner rather than later. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a cause very close to my own heart. One of ten kids, my Mother died when I was three, all chidren taken into Army care (Gordon Boys, Sandhurst and Convents except for me 3yrs and brother 2yrs). Father then disappeared and we two were separated into care until I was 18. Brother and I now in touch and all unknown others dead. Life began at 18 with marriage, children, university and career. Since then I have been exceedingly fortunate ... but I REMEMBER ... I will definitely contribute now I am well. Hope this story makes a difference. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bee a Brit Stingy are making one between us so I've been scrappy tripping this afternoon. I can't wait to see what you make with that gorgeous fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making one this year. I've started cutting up some fat quarters for a plus quilt but really need to get some coordinating solids. I'm looking forward to seeing what you are making with the strips you got.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first year, I'm making at least one. I was fortunate to get in there just behind you, and got Amandas other offer, the 12 fq's of Tanya Whelan, they arrived today, absolutely gorgeous. I have plans and will be starting this week too. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. Ange x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww - I wish I had a photo of the recipient of the one I made... that would be lovely! Yes - I am making one again this year too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's a fantastic cause. I'm making a bee one, and hope to make another myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those fabrics! Bee Blessed will be contributing again this year! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in again, have a couple already in progress and will be quilting Curly Boys too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have already started mine-using the jelly roll that I won at the retreat

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm planning on doing one again. Such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I have one in progress - although I will be doing a begging letter for the quilting - it's the only bit I can't do. I will have the top, the backing, and will happily pay for the wadding, and will do the binding, if some kind quilter would do the honours and quilt it! Obviously I have to finish it first ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought I commented but maybe forgot to press publish. I am in and so excited to be able to help. I already know what I'm making.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm joining in this year. I have a little apples layer cake, and am hunting for ideas for something simple.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in too - halfway through a little girly one with some kindly donated fabric and we have a boy and girl one underway from the FQR Kinky Bee. Your fabric looks great and looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Even the brown!?!? It's a great cause and you'll create a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to see how many people are joining in again this year - you have some lovely fabric to make something wonderful with there. I was thinking of a scrappy quilt top which I can send to someone to quilt - perhaps a vomit tripalong?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never heard of Siblings Together, what a great idea and such a lovely gift for children to have and take where ever they need to go. I do remember yours from last year though....so must have just forgotten. Beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll be making another one this year too! My 2 kids love their quilts so it will be great knowing that it will be going to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for the inspiration! i missed out last year, but will try to participate in some way this year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely that you got a photo, (I'm not even sure whether mine arrived)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yes I'm in again! Picked up some donated fabric too and we have the bee one mentioned by Helen! I have to - seeing those quilts so tightly gripped! Who wouldn't well up?

    ReplyDelete
  25. you are the most amazing woman in the history of the world! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx