Header

Sunday 3 February 2013

Triple Zipper +

OK, you know me, I have to join in with the cool kids and latest crazes, follow the crowd, hate to miss out and all that jazz; well I did it again.

Everyone who is anyone seems to have been making triple zipper pouches over the past few weeks, and so I had to have a go too didn't I?

A Quilter’s Table

Well it is my sister's birthday in a few weeks, so this seemed like the perfect excuse.

I pulled some fabric on Friday night, Dear Stella Campgrounds and some Kaffe paperweights, and made a mental note to refer back to Marci's blogpost to use her version for the final stage, then Krista posted about hers.  Her directional print comments and the observation about 3 compartments but no more space than a single zipper got my cogs whirring at lightening speed!  (Steady!)

I was going to have to make my outer panel from two pieces of fabric anyway because of my directional print, so why not do the same with the main lining?   This would cut out the seemingly complicated turning stage, and therefore be able to add the missing final zip's top-stitching, and whilst at it, make it a bit bigger and box the corners to make the whole thing a little more roomy?  Why not indeed!

So I made it.  I wish I had taken progress pictures now it has actually worked, but it was all done on a wing and a prayer.


If you are planning on making one of these, you might want to consider adding an extra 1/2" seam allowance to your main panel and lining pieces, (for cutting and rejoining), and constructing the final pouch body as you would any single zip purse.  The instructions for getting to the final stage are great, I like, OK need, the nice clear 'outer fabric face up, zip face down etc' to see me through that part, especially with 3 zips!

I also added an extra 2", (+2.5" in total from the original), for boxing the corners, and as with all purses I make, I left my turning gap in the side, not bottom seam, and hand-stitch that closed.

My zipper tabs usually have a life of their own, sometimes perfect, other times completely caught inside, but these top ones worked pretty damn well.  If I make another one, or any zipper purse actually, I will make the tabs this way but maybe leave the excess a little longer, (1" instead of 3/4"), for more pushing out power, and I have never not sewn over the zip ends before and I was pleasantly surprised!

So there you go, my little venture into pattern alteration. 

Three cheers for Deb for being so wonderful about all the tips and suggestions that makers have offered up about her pattern; I have found it really interesting to see how everyone has a different take on the same pattern.  And there are some beauties in the flickr pool, go take a look, just in case you haven't already decided you need to make one. xxx

35 comments:

  1. Glad you shared your experience and the alts you made to personalize things up a bit. It turned out darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I am going to make my next one with a boxy bottom too, great idea. I too am planning to make the zipper tabs longer, for the same reasons. That bag is cute, a great present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boxed bottom looks great. Thankfully I won't have to make one of these having received one from Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful info here! This looks gorgeous, and if I only had a use for it, I would have to make one. Nowm how can I not have a use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great and thanks for the tips. I am going to wait until the last minute to make mine, incorporating everyones tips ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! - I don't think I can put off making one for myself much longer with all the inspiration I'm getting from this stitch-along. Thank you for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete

  7. I love it! And thanks so much for the tips and ideas. I have a feeling we'll be seeing many more boxy triple-zips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is great! thank you for all the extra tips. I want to make another one and think I might copy yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful! There's no way my baby brain can deal with 3 zips right now but those all sound like good tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you boxed the corners. It's a great addition to your adorable pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your version is fab! Love the boxed corners! ( i gave up when I cut out the 1" middle section. That seemed a waste of a zip to me! )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fabric and a nice flat bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How weird, I didn't know the triple zip pouch along was an actual thing and started a mini group on Crafteroo as a challenge project :) I have some pieces of Constellations crying out to be used for this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you've done a wonderful job of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was going to make one - I've pulled the fabrics but you have completely terrified me!! It does look great though - clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. fabulous, but then everything you do is fanulous you smarty pants! ; ).x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the boxed corners you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I had a tent as cute as those! Love how you made it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Genius idea with the directional print things

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the boxed bottom and the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You sure are a member of the cool kids club. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now you've scared me about zips again! I was ok reading the instructions you directed me too, but then I didn't understand a word of *this* post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Scary sewing stuff indeed, love the result though.............may need extra caffeine before attempting the triple zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the boxed corners on your purse. I made mine a bit bigger to give me more wriggle room and finished it 'my' way too. You sister is going to love this one. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really, really clever! Love the colours and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  26. your so organised and quick! So annoying tee hee. This is terrefic and I feel I need to have a try now

    ReplyDelete
  27. so funny I just looked at Deb's post with all the pictures of triple zips and picked YOURS out (didn't know it was yours until now) as my fave! I decided that using the same fabric and different color zips must be the way to go. Now I'll have to try one myself. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your sis will really like this bag.
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, wow and WOW! What a great alternate bottom you have made on yours, such a great idea and makes it hold so much more stuff! So glad my little tutorial helped you figure that ending out! It really turned out so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i'm making mine this weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx