Header

Monday 13 October 2014

Sew Together Bag...

I did it!  I managed to get the binding on before my eyes gave up in the gloom last night.  Please excuse the rainy day photos, obviously not my fault, but I couldn't wait to show you.


I am so glad I dove right in to make this Sew Together Bag, because it actually isn't complicated to make, it just looks it.

The pattern in great, it could do with a few more photos or diagrams, but the Quilt Barn Sewalong fills all the gaps if you are feeling unsure.  When I make the next one I will probably only be referring to the pattern for the measurements then be off.


I used some of my hoarded Melody Miller arrows and a little of my Cotton & Steel winnings, and I am so glad I did.

I used regular heavy weight iron-on interfacing on the pockets, and for the main outside panel some woven interfacing then a layer of fusible fleece (H630).  This combo has given it a nice bit of structure.


The only modifications I made to the pattern was to hand stitch down my bindings, because one, I love doing it, and two, it looks the biz!

To join the zipper tabs to the side bindings, I left an inch and a half of the binding unstitched in the middle, and on the reverse left about 4" unstitched when hand finishing.


I then tucked the tab into the binding and machine closed the smaller gap, then stitched up the 4" gap to keep it all neat and tidy.  That might make sense if you have made one!

To be honest I am not sure if it was worth the effort, because to the untrained eye it probably looks no different, but I do like to meddle!

So I am planning on keeping Zipit going with orders for a while, and start pulling fabrics for at least a couple more.

18 comments:

  1. i would ask if you were taking commissions but i prolly couldnt afford you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks seriously impressive! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! I love the colour coded sections and the arrows are perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must get me one of these going. How much fabric do the individual pockets take? I have some Farmdale fat eights that would be gorgeous for one of these....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fabric and zipper colors are spot on.. Love being organized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! How long can I hold out before I make one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fab much neater then my attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yey! I'm hand stitching the bindings too, just got the tabs to sew down and the zipper binding :) Looks lovely! Let me know if you need zips, there's a whole sale place near me that sell them for a little less than Zipit without the international postage, however I need to order £30 at a time and in batches of 10 of each colour/length so I might have something you're looking for already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fab!! It's not the most straight forward pattern, but so nice to use once it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always impressed when I see one of these as they look quite tricky. Love the fabric too, nice hot colours for winter. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, hand sew down everything I can but I'm unsure how to do it for the top zipper -- once you are past the body of the bag. Do you just make sure (very carefully) that your binding is folded over equally so you have something to sew to? Great idea on the side part. I hand sewed the binding down but never considered "tucking" in the handle. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job, love the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty. I've made one for a gift. I need one for myself.

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx