Header

Sunday 15 June 2014

Swear-bags...

I am going to gloss over the fact I could have hand sewn a small quilt in the time it took to wait for our Father's Day lunch today, and keep the gloating to the minimum, that patience lead to a 60% discount excluding the Dad's Eat Free offer, and show you some stitchery...

So a few weeks back I decided on what I wanted to make for the FQR 2014 sample swap, specifically using the Chicopee bolt and bargain denim.  I drafted out a pattern in the loosest sense of the word, cut all the pieces for 5 tote bags and felt very prepared.

I made the handles and pockets, clip loops and all sorts; it was all looking good.

I thought it might be wise to finish making one up first, you know, just in case, and so I did.

It came together really quickly, just as planned in fact, but, I hated it!  I got in a mood; I probably posted a 2 word grumpy blogpost, and sulked for a few days.

The original bags were to have a shoulder strap, and I eventually narrowed down my displeasure to this, so I got to unpicking.

Of course I had stitched the strap on first with a row of stitches before joining the outer to the lining, and top stitching the whole lot.  Of course I used nice tiny stitches and a load of back stitching to secure it all; only bright side, I hadn't sewn up the turning gap in the lining.

Soooooooo strap removed, and short webbing handles decided upon, I attached a pair, again with due belt and braces stitching, joined it all, nice top-stitching and bugger me if one of the straps hadn't twisted.

Rude words.  Many.

Deciding that maybe I could just release one end and not have to unpick the lot, I managed to start on unpicking the wrong pieces, but eventually got it back on and stitched back together with lots of unpleasantries.

But not as many swear words as when it then didn't line up with the other handle any more.

@£$%^&*()(*&^%$£@!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to basics, whole lot taken apart and sewn together from scratch, and thank goodness I loved the result!!


The other denim pair, and a pair in grey home-dec came together in minutes by comparison.  All turning gaps were stitched up this afternoon and I am done!!


The moral of this story... stick to pincushions!!

For those who like details, these finish up c. 12" x 14" with 12" webbing straps; they were all pieced, stitched and re-stitched with a jeans needle and Aurifil 40wt in 4093, except for stitching the handle details, which I used matching 50wt thread.

The inside pockets and FQR 2014 key clips are sewn into the lining seam, and there are little FQR 2014 tags on the outside.


I apologise for the quality of these photos, not sure quite what is going on there, but I am so relieved to be finished, the photos were the last thing on my mind.

I hope my swap partners like them, I am keeping one of the grey ones for myself, because quite frankly after all that, I think I bloody deserve one!

23 comments:

  1. What a nightmare! Well, at least they are done, look great and the kids can teach new swear words in the playground tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great swap items in spite of your pain in birthing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, what a nightmare!!! The bags look wonderful now, though. How wonderful of you to keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does feel like giving birth.
    been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a day! Glad you are safely out the other side! Gorgeous bags and lucky recipients! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, they look great so it was worth it! My bag is perfect by the way, great for when I've got the boy in the sling ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were worth it, though, lucky swap partners!!! And I love their name. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a saga! Glad you got there in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh sweetie! sorry but so good to hear you have the odd ballsup from time to time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, annoying when a seemingly simple project turns into a nightmare, but glad you managed to rescue it, they look great now though!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. they are great! Love them :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. The new handles are definitely worth the effort, sometimes we have projects like that, but hopefully that means the next one will be a bit less trying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your title is very appropriate, I am sure it came easier than some titles do. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read your title and the "swear bags?"
    They look great, I totally know what you must have been feeling when it kept going wrong....so frustrating but the finished result s are brilliant. I love denim!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy crap! I can't believe you stuck to it and finished these! You're incredible. They look fab - well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done for persevering! They look fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you learn nothing from my epic FQR swap bag marathon 2 years ago? ;o) Glad you eventually won

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I first read your title I thought your had made swear bags like "swear jars" to put money in when you say a naughty word - and if so then I definitely would need a swear bag as a jar would be be much too small. Anyway, your bags look lovely - I use denim a lot in bags as it makes them nice and sturdy without needing lots of interfacing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh what a trial! I don't know why it is that when you see a short cut way of undoing something it always ends up the long way with unpicking the wrong bit or something. Been there, done that and have the bags to show for it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well that was fast. I just read the previous pits. These will make a nice sturdy bang either a bit of posh lining.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bl**dy hell, these bags have put you through the wringer!! They look fabulous, though!!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx