Header

Tuesday 22 April 2014

#DSTTchallenge revealed...

I am not sure why I have been slacking on this reveal, I am normally rather quick off the mark to toot my own trumpet!  Sorry.

So back at the beginning of the month when I read about the Dear Stella/Timeless Treasures 'modern traditional' challenge, I had one idea in mind, an old fashioned block in modern fabrics, (I can see you all nodding off already!), but I just couldn't get enthused about that.

I went back to basics; in fact I went back to the V&A collection of quilts (online) that had got me so excited about fabrics and sewing and all the things that I now obsess over; I trawled for something to get me going, and one quilt immediately did that...


This was made between 1740 and 1800 and look how modern it looks; it was love at first sight!  None of those brown basket type blocks I immediately think of as traditional.

I decided to recreate this in my DS/TT fabrics along with the quilting, which you can see a bit clearer if you look at the link.  Rotary cut, machine sewn, and purely decorative, a far cry from the original, but using only stash fabrics, I have, I hope, combined the best of what both eras have to offer.


So I cut and randomly stitched rather a lot of tiny pieces from 1.25" strips, using some of my Dear Stella Hadley fabrics, (what else!?), half a dozen different Sketch prints, some How to Make A Pillowcase text and more.


To me, the current love of low volume, text prints and pops of colour is not a long way from what was being sewn in the 18th century!


As per the rules, this quilt is entirely made of Dear Stella and Timeless Treasures fabrics and measures up at 20" square...


... and I even used an almost brown Hadley print for the backing as a further nod to the traditional roots of this mini-quilt...


This was entirely pieced and quilted in Aurifil (50wt 2021), another icon of the modern age of quilting.

I took a batch of photos to try and show off the quilt and the quilting as best as I could...




... and then I had fun with the garden centre models...





I really enjoyed researching and making this, which after all is what it is all about; yep the prizes are amazing, but I think I veered off at such a tangent that I can kiss those goodbye!


This mini-quilt really makes me happy in a way that piecing a non-brown basket block ever could; I call that a success!

I hope you have enjoyed my little foray into trying to be a little bit more meaningful in my stitching, but don't worry, I won't do it too often xxx

26 comments:

  1. I love the V & A original and I love yours. I also enjoyed reading what you've written about it. Always good to have some background info :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blending the words in - very modern of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's really lovely. And Mary approves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely, although not entirely sure at least one of your photos ins't somewhat sacrilegious, but 'tis the season and all that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really works for me. I would certainly give you a prize, especially for your creative photography too. You should enter the picture of it with the naked man just for the fun of it. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fabulous Hadley! Love the photoshoots, although one of them reminds me of the Weeping Angels a la Dr Who!!!!! And thanks for the V&A link........I can see myself losing hours on there!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! Pretty pics, humor, research and a gorgeous quilt,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Hadley. I love the garden centre photo shoot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, even with the scarily nearly brown backing. I'm a little worried about what looks like a beheaded Virgin Mary stuck back together again though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much better than the original! Well done xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well worth the wait! And the original is beautiful too! jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fabulous Hadley! Love the diagonal quilting, and the inspiration quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your inspiration came to life in this little make. And 20" "square"?...only you know for sure! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still contemplating doing this challenge but will have to be fast. Love your mini and the original quilt. Like Sonia, I just lost loads of time looking at the V&A site!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the zigzag quilting, but that backing looks brown to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL I love the "Behold!" Mary picture :) Fab finish, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! The photo with Our Lady made me chuckle - I've never seen a holy statue in a garden centre before, do you think many people buy one to make their own grotto?!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All I can say to this is "there's a willy in your blog post!" Yep, I do have the mental age of a 5 year old. The quilt is a lovely nod to the V&A quilt and definitely modern. I can't believe you wouldn't have enjoyed piecing a basket block though, I can see that being right down your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you really did take a traditional quilt and make it modern - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love this. You are very clever

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this to bits (sorry...but I do mean it, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! Nice photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh what fun! The quilt AND the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha at the garden centre photos, it should win a prize for them alone!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx