Header

Monday 5 August 2013

You say tomato...

I know Arkansas is pronounced Arrgh-cun-sore, but I read it in my head as Arrgh-can-zus (eh Toto); every time.  Admittedly it doesn't come up that much, but with this month's Stitch Tease block being the Arkansas Traveler, I have been correcting myself silly for the last couple of days; that, and wondering about the missing 'l'.

The blocks are for Jennifer, one of the Stitch Tease newbies, you will know her better as the ex-Hawaii-dwellling purveyor of fine fabrics at Knotted Thread.  She's got a lot of lovelies in her shop right now including AMH Hand Drawn, and Lush Uptown to name but a few.

Anyway, I digress.  Jennifer posted this picture to inspire our colour choices...

HummingbirdHues


And these are what I came up with...


I followed Lee's excellent tutorial and everything went swimmingly until I spotted that I had sewn one quarter piece upside down, obviously after I had torn off all the papers...


Gah!!!!!!!!

Hey ho, I never get on with centre points with a gazillion pieces of fabric, and these were no exception, but I don't think any amount of unpicking would have made them any better.

So these will be flying off across the ocean by the end of the week, and my August commitments are done.



I've also been planning ahead for my turn as Queen Bee in September, and I am rather pleased with my plans; oh yes, tapping fingers together in a world-domination kind of way xxx

32 comments:

  1. Well I think they look lovely and I'd be well chuffed if they came through my letter box. Just don't send them to ar-ken-sore and yeah I read it ar-kan-suz too

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing!! You're so fast! Thanks H :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's more like Arrgh-cun-saw, and I love the blocks! Send them to Tennessee, instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my head its arr-kan-suz. The blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm queen in September in my bee, too! High fives c: As for me, I'd say the pronunciation is Ar-can-saw...I grew up in California, for accent reference haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great colour palette - your blocks look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. S use me for being thick, but what is upside down?

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw the palette I thought it looked lovely but kind of autumnal and I'm not ready for summer to be over but your blocks look fab! Great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My problem with Arkansas is I always want to say "Chug-a-bug" after it. Which dates me horribly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that block and yours look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait, there's a right way up?! FFS...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I always love this block. And your centres are fine - you are just a big old perfectionist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I am married to an American I can confirm that they can neither spell nor speak properly. I find it best to act as though it's a different language altogether ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, as an American, that's what I was saying the entire time I was in Kondon last month.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty, pretty blocks! Language is a load of shemozzle to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got me saying "Arkansas" over and over, out loud, trying to figure out how I'd spell it so that it would translate to someone who is not from the (U.S.) South! I guess it would be R-kin-saw (with no 'r' sound at the end of the word 'saw'!) I love reading your blog. It makes me smile!
    tstanulis@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, it's ARE-kin-saw. I love this discussion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks fab H, but don't go too hard on us next month, you're scaring me! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blocks are great... but don't scoff... Have you seen some of the pronunciations of Norfolk villages???
    Happisburgh = (Haze bruh) ....

    ReplyDelete
  20. What great inspirational colours and love your blocks! I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been plotting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous blocks!! I can't wait to see what you've got planned for the worker bees in September - I think they may be quaking in their boots/flip-flops...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely blocks-and I can just see that world dominating tap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. World-domination? That is a little daunting and a little scary. Nice blocks though! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  24. i can't see which block is upsidedown? id never noticed the spelling/pronunciation thing, i probably would have read it wrong if i ever had to say it out loud!!!! (i think Dorothy and Kansas may have to take some of the blame)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought you already had the world domination thing sussed! Intergalactic plans would be more appropriate!

    Great blocks BTW !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely interpretation of the colour board you were given. So how would Dorothy and Aunt Emm say Kansas then I wonder??? :-) Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have just found your blog and it's always nice to find another Brit blog.
    This did tickle me.. the Arkansas bit, as I prounounce it the Ark-can-sus way too... how did you find out it was different?
    Lovely blocks too.

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx