Header

Friday 9 August 2013

Make mine a small one!

Early posting for me today.  I didn't want to leave you in suspenders, as the kids and I are off to meet up with Emily and Nicky shortly, and I really want to show you my promised late-night make.

Quick background.  Holidays mean making new things, just because.  Having big bags, clutch bags and small purses already, I felt I was lacking a simple small cross body bag for out-and-about essentials.

OK, this is not strictly true; I have my beloved Sidekick Tote, I use it all the time but it isn't new, and I really wanted a new one!

I looked through all the patterns I had stashed away, but they were mostly too complicated for what I wanted, or required hardware I didn't have on hand.  I googled, I really was prepared to be completely inspired, but then... lightbulb!

I printed out my Noodlehead Super Tote pattern at 50%!!!

Grabbed those gorgeous HR Strawberries, fresh through the door, some natural Essex Linen and pink Kei dots, then at about 7pm, got making!

Not the best pictures in the world, but the grass was wet, and the assistants were not in an assisting mood!
Cross body strap, rather than two handles; no internal pockets, some piping to break up the plain back along the seam that would have housed the handles; a concealed magnetic snap in the front pocket and Bob, as they say, is your uncle.  I stitched up the gap in the lining just before 11pm.

I love all Anna's patterns, I made a 50% 241 Tote for Cindy, and knew, (well hoped), it would turn out great!

I used Aurifil 50wt in 2021 as always, and my walking foot to piece the whole thing, including the zip.  Popped on a Jeans needle for the final top stitching that incorporated the strap ends as there must have been at least 10 layers of fabric plus fusible fleece at those points; and it sewed through like a dream.

I rarely need to finish anything so urgently that I keep going after about 9pm; most things can just wait.  As you know I am not one to leave stuff until the last minute either, BUT I wanted to see it completed so badly; dear husband had to be woken up for the Ta dah! moment too.

So there you go, my super mini-Super Tote.  Sorry for making you wait, but I hope I will be forgiven xxx

31 comments:

  1. Love! Want! Neeeeeeeed!

    Seriously, awesom adaptation of a fab pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eee! Its a total hit! Gorgeous bag, Hadders. Say hi to Em and Nicky for me, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most excellent is it bigger than the side kick tote? I ask because I found the sidekick a tad small for the FQR retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's perfect!! I need something this sort of size myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a new bag for foq tomorrow, I haven't got a pattern and I know it won't be as sleek and cool as yours but you know what? I think I'll give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant - such a clever idea. I've just made the Dog Under my Desk 2 zip hipster which satisfied my neatness and bag requirements but wasn't fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you were still sewing at 10pm - it's fabulous! Have a lovely time with Nicky and Emily xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent idea, it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love this!! i made one at 75% and use it as my day-to-day purse. :) I may have to make a baby one now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes, so gorgeous! No wonder you had to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So completely gorgeous! I've been thinking of doing something similar with the Aeroplane bag! Have a great day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe.Some!!! I love cross body purses as well, and it was a genius move to use the supertote at a smaller scale. Will have to replicate somehow :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could say it's a super-model..... :-) it's gorgeous, whatever you call it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is lovely. I love the strawberries with the linen, and that pop of colour in the strap is gorgeous. Clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely worth the wait-I love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, I think that means it's an inferior tote, but I'd hate to give it an inferiority complex! Looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is very cute. I think I may need this pattern ....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooo it's lovely! I'm dying to make a full size supertote! Your wee cutie might be the final straw that broke thee camerl's back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that is one super dupe idea Hadley :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a brilliant idea! I need to make my niece a new school bag for September and this is the style she wanted! Thank you for saving me hours trawling through the internet to find a small messenger bag pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So good of you to not leave us in suspenders ;-) Love the new bag - such a good idea to make it half-size!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, oh man! I love the Super tote! Who would have thought to make it at 50%? Fabulous idea, fabulous job too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh what a brilliant idea!! You're so smart, Miss Hadley!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx