Header

Sunday 29 April 2012

Twofer...

Yesterday, having the choice of trimming more Retro Flower petals, urrrgh, or making something from start to finish; start to finish won!

I needed some happy sewing, because this weather is really starting to take its toll on me, I am getting grumpier by the day; I know it was sunny on Friday, but I was stuck indoors and that makes it worse!

So I opted for a double win - finally using some of my gorgeous Summersville fabric and the Keyka Lou padded pouch pattern I have been meaning to have a go at for ages.


I was going to use the black Summersville prints, but having pulled some flannel for the inner lining, I swapped to the turquoise without hesitation.


As with the wristlet pattern, this was really easy to follow.  Piecing was a breeze until the final joining of the exterior and lining.  We are talking at least 2 layers of wadding, interfacing, muslin, flannel and cotton layers to join without the circumference to run it round the machine arm.


I made the small version, so I am guessing that the larger sizes would be rather easier in comparison.


But look, boxed corners and flukily matching quilting...


A whole bunch of hardware I had forgotten I had, along with some perfect pink cord...


I swapped out the velcro from the pattern for the magnetic snap; I couldn't bring myself to stick a strip of the crinkly white stuff smack bang over those cute houses.


Lu challenged me to make something lovely before Retreat; something that wouldn't make her sob at the mess I'd made of her fabulous fabric, and I think I have succeeded; it made me feel happy and think of day trips and sunny holidays, even though the rain has kept on pouring.


In the absence of any sunlight, I turned to technology to make the pictures look nicer; thank you PicMonkey, you've done a nice job x

39 comments:

  1. Very cute! I can't wait until the bundle of that fabric that I ordered arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! And looks sufficiently padded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. There are benefits from rain - guilt free sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You saying you don't like all this rain? Fantastic I love it - the pouch that is not the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that looks like a very fun bag. Fun quilting in the midst of 'obligation' is down-right mandatory sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous, really fun and funky, and a perfect choice of fabric! Am very jealous.... not just of the bag but of the fact you had sunshine on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great make Hadley! Beautiful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. grab job hadley, it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Quick sewing has been winning out a lot for me lately as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great use for the fun fabric houses! Lovely! I opted for a weather beating all in one day finish yesterday too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks lovely, really lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making something in one sitting is very satisfying and your pouch is very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stop taking photos of things you make in Summersville fabrics.
    I'm on a mission to NOT buy more fab fabric.
    I'm turning off the computer now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Getting really fed up with the rain here too. Niki says the bowling alley was busy with bored families dodging the rain! The mini make is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing beats flukey matching quilting! Very cute padded pouch...ah, happy sewing is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you're intending to use this with a digital camera, keep that magnet WELL away from the screen unless you wish to ruin it, magnets and screens are not a happy combo...

    Very cute pouch though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good tip from Katy. Lovely wee pouch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the pouch in the summersville, looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely choice of project for that fabric - really love it. And that pink cord looks great with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great sunny project for a rainy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh stuff it! It's just brill! Sickeningly brill! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love finding stuff you didn't realize you had - huge clean up in my sewing room last week uncovered all sorts of useful bits and pieces.love the bag, great use of those cute houses!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it!!!!! Her patterns are great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh is that for me? You're too kind!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This little pouch hopefully brightened your day. I should receive my Summersville tomorrow. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sure Lu will be proud of this really cute little bag. I sure hope you bring it to the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did such a good job, sewing all those layers is not my idea of fun but worth it, looks os professional!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is lovely and the fabric is very pretty...someone is going to be happy with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aww cute!, gotta love a start and a finish in one sitting! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a sweet project! My summersville has just arrived and I am SO excited.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have your Summerville already?? Way to be on top of things!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx