Header

Sunday 9 February 2014

Room for a little one...

The girls' teacher will be going on Maternity leave at Easter, and as soon as I found out at the beginning of term, I was pulling fabrics and putting a little baby blanket on my FAL list.

I picked out all the red, white and aquas from a couple of Little Apples charm packs, and added in a few of extras to make up the numbers.

I was originally just going to use the charms au naturel, for a simple patchwork, but when I saw Fiona's tumbler quilt in issue 5 of Love Patchwork & Quilting, (you know the one!), a quick spin of the Sizzix and a mini-tumbler was born...


The backing is fleece, no batting, and I used up some more Little Apples for binding.

Simple horizontal quilting in Aurifil 2021 50wt, which I also used for piecing, as it rarely gets swapped off my machine to be honest, was all that was needed to keep it all together.

I know I had to buy the backing, from here, but at £6/m, I have enough for another little quilt or a cushion or two, so I think I can have this purchase guilt-free!

It's only a tiddler, c. 24" x 32", but I am going on the theory and experience that small babies do not need big blankets; hauling a load of baby stuff about, means the smaller the better, and this is plenty big enough for popping over the car seat, or putting on the floor for a stretch out.

The girls have said it is both 'boyish' and 'girlish', so I guess that's a gender-neutral seal of approval!

Another FAL tick then, that makes 4 out of 8 completed already, and we are almost half way through the first quarter.  Go me!

29 comments:

  1. Oh get you, halfway through! Not sure I have any finishes. Love the baby quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done indeed. I don't think I've finished a single thing yet, in fact I'm sure I'm going backwards...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable, tumblers were a great choice and love the fleece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful and snugly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the baby quilt, and the size is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, and like you say, a great size for hauling around for baby tummy time! You are really chugging through your WIP's, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Tumblers are just gorgeous and perfect size for a baby, they're only small after all! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely little quilt, and gorgeous colours

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for an adorbs little finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay you! That is a fab quilt!!!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go you indeed! Loving the backing! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great backing and a very thoughtful little gift. I think small baby quilts are super handy for new mums.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute quilt! Please tell me that you are joking about being half way through the quarter, I have loads of WIP's still waiting to be worked on :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect little quilt. Get you - another FAL item! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  15. it is so cute. And go you - definitely on a roll :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely - I could do with something small right now! I haven't finished anything on my list yet !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's some pretty awesome fleece . I'm jealous that you've finished 4 out of 8, I've only managed 1!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect size, lovely wee quilt. I need to break out my tumbler die very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with you about the size of baby quilts- small is perfect! And it is definitely 'gender neutral'! Great job Missus!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it's great and my gender neutral warrior inside is very pleased ;) Are you on the fabric fast too then?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hadley, that is one awesome make! It's very much gender neutral and will be a total hit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the cow backing - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's fabulous and I love the backing!! I can't believe you're halfway there with your FAL list, though...you put the rest of us to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh it's lovely! Definitely gender neutral. you're doing so well with your FAL list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is fun and cuddly at the same time, I am sure she will be wowed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Go you! Yet another adorable finish. Wish my FAL list was looking so good ;-(

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx