Header

Friday 21 February 2014

Almost* Perfect Quilted Tote...

Between the hailstones and torrential rain, I managed to get a few photos worthy of a grand reveal - hurrah!


So Oh Fransson's Perfect Quilted Totes pattern - it's a good one.  I realise that Elizabeth is re-writing all her old patterns, so you are not able to purchase this at present, but if she makes a few tweaks, which she no doubt will, I would recommend it to anyone who can stitch a straight line and likes someone else to work out all the fabric sizes so you don't have to - that'll be me then!

My only observations, which are nothing original I am sure, are that when you cut your QAYG pieces, all that stitching will shrink up the panels a bit, so you will never be able to cut (or stretch) the panels to the stated size.  I just trimmed everything down by 1/4" and it worked out fine.

And as far as the written pattern goes, all instructions and photos are clear and straightforward however, this is a pattern for both tall and wide versions.  The instructions for the wide version continually refer back to the instructions for the tall one, which got a bit frustrating scrolling up and down; but if I had been making the tall version, it would have been perfect.  In an age of cut and paste I cannot see why the instructions couldn't have been duplicated on the pdf version.

When I first topstitched around the top of the tote at the end, I just went for a bog-standard 1/4" all round, but this actually looked a bit ropey because of the quilting already there.  So I unpicked, then re-stitched over the top row of quilting, and as this happened to go right through the magnetic snap, I stopped and started an inch either side and it now looks a tonne neater.  I also opted to hand stitch the facing down on the inside, almost as satisfying as quilt binding, especially as I was watching the Olympics at the time.


So all in all I would recommend the pattern, and love the finished tote.

I used a bundle of scraps, some precious gifted Heather Ross, Melody Miller and Joel Dewberry; so I will be linking this with Sarah at the end of the month.  Yarn Dyed Essex Linen in black for the outside, Pearl bracelets for the lining, and touches of orange Architextures crosshatch for the pockets.  The pattern calls for utility fabric to back the QAYG panels, not entirely sure what that is, but I used up some home dec I received from Terry's Fabrics which had a pattern so huge I couldn't find a better use for it, and it was spot on.  I pieced and quilted the whole shebang in Aurifil 40wt 2021 for a change; the slightly heavier weight worked really well and gives all the quilting that little bit more definition.

Oh and the almost* , a 1/4" seam mis-match on one of the side panel bottom sections.  The top matched perfectly, and without a lot of ripping it wasn't going to be easily fixed by the time I noticed, so I will live with it, I may just stick a badge over it!

36 comments:

  1. Looks fab, i'm sure no one else will notice any imperfections! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bag envy! Love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. ThĂ nks for your thoughts on the pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous and it looks like a perfect size!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely! I'm sure you'll soon fail to notice the slight imperfection but if not I'll give it a good home - you can pop the Liberty hexy hoop inside ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking that "utility fabric" is probably a duck canvas or something of that sort. It sure is pretty and I think it looks pretty darn perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like it. It's a bit like the totes I made for the FQR swap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy! I need some more spring at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I
    Have an almost perfect quilted tote too and had the exact same niggles. I love mine though and use it every day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love QAYG and I love your tote! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colour combos! Hate shrinking QAYG panels o.O

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, great colours and looks like a lovely bag to carry around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. just love this. I am yet to try making a tote so maybe this would be a good one to start with? I do like the Noodlehead patterns though - the 241 and Supertote :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made that bag and substituted cotton duck canvas (you can get it cheapest on ebay) for 'utility' and it works fine. I would also agree with your comments re pattern. I also found a couple of the measurements were completely wrong. So I let Elizabeth know and she changed them. You can thank me if you like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bag, I am sure that you will be the only one who sees any mistakes in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If there is HR in it then it must be for me. Right?!! Gorgeous make, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice job Hadley. Hope mine comes out as well when I ever get round to making it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my favourite bag that I have seen online in a while. I love the colours and the fussy cutting too. You did an amazing job and thanks for all the pointers too on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I purchased this same pattern just before she took the patterns off line to rewrite. I planned to use it for a swap but never joined in time so maybe I'll just have to make it for me! Heather Ross and teal sounds like a winning combo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is excellent, Hadley! The fabrics are just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your honest review of this pattern. It's a great looking bag

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely bag - Went to buy this pattern a few weeks back and found she'd taken all her patterns offline for reworking and they won't be up for months!! gah!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely pattern and great colours, thanks for the mini review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your pretty tote - thanks for the pattern review too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A seriously yummy bag, great fabric choices! X

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute! I've made several of these (in the tall variety) and I also really love the pattern. Now I want to makea wide one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have used the best fabrics and colours for this bag, I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE at first sight. Your fabric choices are spot on for me. I'd be purchasing that pattern right now if it were available.

    ReplyDelete
  29. this looks so great! I have this pattern in the wings and am currently working on another bag of hers. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fabulous tote, love the colours you have used. Another project for my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  31. An absolute stunner! Now I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx