Header

Friday 6 September 2013

Research...

After 2 whole days at work; OK not technically whole days, about 9hrs in total to be honest, but after such a shock to the system, along with the turn in the weather, I thought a little research trip was in order!

Just before the holidays began Eclectic Maker opened their bricks and mortar shop about 2 minutes drive from my office but I never managed to get there with the kids (probably a good thing); so today was the day.

There's something about seeing all the fabric in real life that online shopping just can't compete with!!

I was there for about half an hour chatting with Jo, and I know for sure I will become a regular!  I went in for some Moda Calico and Vilene, but also came out with a superb scrap bag and some Sweetwater Boo Crew - Fly Trap which is an awesome print to rival all the sketches and cross-hatches etc that have gone before...

Everywhere was wet, hence the dodgy tray photo!

The scrap bag, which is c.1m of fabric for £6.99 is amazing value, and gorgeous to boot; I can see me buying more of these...


So I think you can now see where my pay packet is going to be emptied!

Jo was lovely, and is coincidently the sponsor of the quilt backing for my month (May '14) in the Siblings Together Bee, so it was obviously only right that I vetted the shop, and sampled their wares first hand ;)

Oh and before I forget, here's this month's mega 18.5" block (not 24" as I originally put!)...


The fabric is S'more Love by Cosmo Cricket for Moda, and it is going to make a great quilt for a young lad.  This will be headed your was soon Maria x

So I will be using some of my purchases this weekend, weather-permitting.  It's kind of a win-win weekend.  Bad weather, I get to sew, good weather, and we will be headed to the land of plastic bricks; personally I fancy a bit of both xxx

23 comments:

  1. How lucky to be so close to Eclectic Maker, the scrap bag looks great.
    Thanks for SB block, it's not quite that big though, it's 18.5 inches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, such a tough way to end the working (half) week...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you going to cope having that temptation so close each day! Lovely block! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, maybe regulars get a discount?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love some rainy/sew-y weather. Am I sounding repetitious? I really like that block a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh crumbs, if you go to the land if plastic i hope you avoid the traffic queues! how lovely to have a fabric shop so close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, its lovely here today, so I guess you are off to Windsor-have a fab day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see your visit to Eclectic Maker was more of a duty you just had to fulfill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!! I was in there on Thursday & did not see the scrap bags!! Bought 2 charm packs as I could not decide on yardage. LOL
    I live 2 minutes from there (Bath Rd) & was in asking about groups. You must work very near me!! LOL
    Enjoy the weekend no matter what it brings, either sound fantastic.
    Cheers
    Lush xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. The block is beautiful. Is is from a pattern or your own design?

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I want to steal that scrap pack! And you're right nothing compares to an actual bricks and mortar shop. We have none around here :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, love those foxes! Bet that's going to be a dangerous commute for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that scrap pack is beautiful! What a good buy. I can see you might as well set up a direct debit.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree - 'in person' research is important! Lovely goodies you found!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Socks the Fox in the scrap bag?! Bloody brilliant. I just got an order from Eclectic Maker this morning, actually. Ordered yesterday lunchtime! Great service as always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you are in such trouble! In a good way. Now you Ann work with ago to make sure what she chooses for your month is just what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sooo envious that you can visit the real life Eclectic Maker! Sometimes I think I am single handedly keeping them business, I order with them online so often! In fact it's probably a good thing I'm not down the road, certainly for my bank balance! Glad to hear you had a great trip, you've got some great fabrics there and at a good price too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's our duty to support our local independent shops - nice to see you doing your bit for your country ;o)

    P.S. LOVE the scrap bag!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man. I nearly want to fly over just to see E-maker in real life. That must be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty and great scrap selection!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's nice to be able to see the fabric in person and touch them and know their true colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love scrap bags! Southern Fabrics in the US has great ones and they post at a good price to Australia. I would be heading I the fabric shop every lunch time if I was you. Make the most of that time without the kids ;-) Are you a teacher? Or just going back to work after holidays off with the kids?

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx